For the Fall 2020 semester, this program will be delivered through a hybrid model that combines remote and in-person learning. View delivery modes for all programs.
The successful completion of this program will enable the graduate to:
- Present and coordinate merchandise so that related goods are shown in a unique, desirable, and saleable manner.
- Use both written and oral English that emphasizes good organization, clarity, correct grammar which is appropriate for communication purposes in the business environment.
- Understand the fundamentals of basic financial problems, and use good reason in financial decision making.
- Work with a wide variety of materials (paper, cardboard, plastic, foamcore, wood, laminate, fabric) to solve two and three dimensional design problems.
- Apply basic design principles and colour theories to the construction of promotional displays and advertising.
- Use photography to record displays and advertising, and integrate knowledge of the photographic process into advertising and display design.
- Appreciate how the history of art and design influence current display practice and contemporary images.
- Understand the basic functions of retail store operations including store location and layout, shopping centre analysis, retail market segmentation and strategies, and the merchandising mix.
- Prepare and execute displays for exhibitions and promotional events using the visual dynamics of light as a design element.
- Prepare illustrative matter and layout for posters and advertising using graphic design principles including perspective, lettering, and logo design.
- Understand basic personnel functions such as interviewing techniques, basic supervisory skills, motivation, and written and non verbal communication.
- Understand basic promotion and advertising including various media for retail advertising (newspaper, radio, direct mail) and the design, layout, and production of ads and promotional point of purchase material.
- Design and build scale models and props suitable for use in display and exhibition.
- Use basic display skills such as covering, stapling, and mounting.