This program is not currently offered.
Sheridan’s Tourism – Global Travel program prepares you for an exciting career in an industry full of opportunities.
A wealth of opportunity
According to the Canadian Tourism Human Resources Council (March 2012), Canada's tourism sector will face a severe shortage of labour by 2030. It’s estimated that 228,000 tourism jobs will go unfilled. It's an exciting time to be in the tourism and travel industry, and the Association of Canadian Travel Agencies (ACTA) recognizes Sheridan as a leader in preparing students for the industry.
Things you'll do and learn
- Learn to book flights, hotels and rental cars using our live Apollo Global Distribution System (GDS).
- Learn sales skills and client retention strategies – some of the most valued skills in the industry.
- Plan meetings and events, selecting venues and coordinating catering and entertainment.
As part of your coursework, you'll receive the necessary training to write the Travel Industry Council of Ontario's (TICO) Education Standards Exam, which is mandated by the Government of Ontario for every person selling travel services or providing travel advice to the public. If you pass the TICO exam, you'll participate in a field placement, gaining valuable experience that sets you apart.
The Tourism – Global Travel program has integrated the use of laptop computers in the delivery of all courses. In these courses, both in class and out, you'll connect to class activities, notes and presentations via your laptop computer. You have access to the materials 24/7 and can visit chat rooms to discuss assignments with classmates and/or professors. All students enrolling in the program require a laptop computer.
Certifications held by professors in this program include Certified Travel Consultants (CTC) and certification with the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA). Our professors and our program are well respected in the tourism and travel industry. Our professors maintain regular contact with industry leaders to ensure that our program is cutting edge and the best it can be.
Graduates of the Tourism – Global Travel program may go on to promising careers if they:
- Enjoy visiting and learning about exciting places, their cultures, history and people.
- Like to sell.
- Possess excellent communication skills.
- Thrive in a computerized environment where they prepare, cost and present travel plans to clients.