Sheridan's School for the Performing Arts stands out for its professionalism, both on the stage and behind the scenes.
Explore the world of theatre
Be part of a creative production team, staging shows attended by the paying public at Theatre Sheridan and Theatre Erindale. Develop the creativity, technical mastery and work ethic you need to work in technical production at the highest levels — as well as the experience and confidence to step directly into the work force.
Experienced faculty and great facilities
Led by practicing industry professionals, this apprenticeship-style program features the best facilities of any theatre school in Canada. You'll work in professional-calibre studios and use industry-standard equipment:
- Mainstage and studio theatres
- State-of-the-art sound labs
- Industry-style lighting and audio equipment
- Fully-equipped wardrobe, prop, and scene shops with CNC machine and 3D printers
Commitment and creativity
You'll begin working on shows immediately, gaining experience in these technical production disciplines:
- Lighting and Sound
- Stage management
In the second year you'll select three disciplines to specialize in, while developing skills in drafting and AutoCAD. The third year features a six-week field placement and students continue to focus in two disciplines. This is the only three-year program in Canada fully dedicated to technical production for the performing arts industry.
This demanding program requires full commitment. You should be prepared to spend approximately $1,800-$2,000 for textbooks, supplies and field trips. The workload is heavy, so it's difficult to be employed part-time while attending this program. But you'll be rewarded with great career opportunities, a creative work environment, and the excitement and camaraderie of theatre life.
Venues for employment include:
- Toronto theatres
- Major Canadian summer theatre festivals (such as Stratford, Shaw, Charlottetown and Drayton Entertainment)
- Major Canadian regional theatres (such as MTC, Neptune, Canadian Stage, Soulpepper and The Grand Theatre)
- Audio-visual companies
- Independent production companies
- Sporting and cultural events
- Political events
- Film and television crews
- Conferences and conventions
- Cruise ships