This award-winning program equips you to help people work through diverse challenges and improve quality of life.
Critical trainingIn this program, you’ll learn from professors and guest speakers who have considerable experience in family therapy, policy development, social work, social justice and other social service fields. You’ll gain a solid skills foundation through a laboratory practicum, and you’ll develop plans for starting and running a service organization.
Things you'll learn to do
- Conduct effective assessments.
- Manage interventions.
- Develop advocacy strategies relevant to a client’s needs.
- Work with government agencies to navigate regulations.
- Become fully aware of the services available and how to deliver them.
- Understand the scope of your practice and when (and where) to refer clients.
Hands-on experienceThe Social Service Worker program maintains connections with hundreds of organizations – including community-based organizations, group homes, children's aid organizations and youth centres – that welcome our students for their Year 2 practicum placements. You'll complete more than 600 hours of field placement in a social service setting, reinforcing the practical skills you've learned in class.
You'll learn through:
- Seminar presentations with class interaction
- Laboratory practicum that simulates the Year 2 practicum situation to give students a solid skills foundation for their upcoming experience in the field
- Guest speaker presentations from those active in the field
Success in the program requires that you be open to the specific issues and contexts of people with various racial, cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
When you graduate from the Social Service Worker program, you’ll be eligible for admission to the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers. As a member of this body, you can use the title “Registered Social Service Worker.” For additional details, visit the Ontario College of Social Workers website.
The Social Service Worker program maintains linkages with a number of universities, which offer further educational opportunities for our graduates.
Ontario College Diploma
- 2 yrs (4 semesters)
- Program code: PSSWK
Column one has the Start date, second the Locations and third the Availability Start date Locations Availability Sep 2017 Davis Campus (Brampton)
Trafalgar Road Campus (Oakville)
Closed Jan 2018 Davis Campus (Brampton) Waitlisted Jan 2018 Trafalgar Road Campus (Oakville) Available