Sheridan’s Police Foundations program introduces you to the world of community safety, preparing you for an exciting career in police work.
Sheridan's Police Foundations professors bring a wealth of experience in policing activities, including patrol, major crime investigations, tactical response, hostage negotiations, by-law enforcement and community outreach. Professors are skilled at providing unique learning opportunities that connect the principles of law, psychology and sociology to real-life policing practices.
Things you'll learn
- Police procedures
- Community policing
- Conflict resolution
- Defensive tactics
- Investigative procedures
- Interviewing techniques
- Physical fitness requirements for a career in policing
Coursework and community based learning activities help students develop a realistic understanding of the role of police officers in promoting and maintaining safe communities. Physical fitness and seminar courses prepare students for the rigorous hiring requirements of the OPP, RCMP and other community safety organizations, including the OPP PREP and PIN tests and the RCMP PARE test.
The Internet, new laws and the threat of terrorism have changed modern police work. Through this program, you’ll learn about the many and varied aspects of modern policing.
Your classes include:
- Police fitness activities.
- Lessons in conflict management and defensive tactics.
- Lectures on police policy and changes in law enforcement.
- Opportunities to analyze a mock crime scene.
- Preparation to take the ATS written and physical tests required before you can apply for police positions in Ontario.
- Scenario-based practical exercises where you’re challenged to integrate and practice your communication (both verbal and written), officer safety, use of authorities and discretion.
Note: Police services have minimum hiring requirements and competencies for constable selection; these requirements are located on the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services website. Please explore these standards prior to entering the program if you're planning to pursue a career in policing.
Ontario College Diploma
- 2 yrs (4 semesters)
- Program code: PPOLF
Column one has the Start date, second the Locations and third the Availability Start date Locations Availability Sep 2017 Davis Campus (Brampton) Closed Jan 2018 Davis Campus (Brampton) Available