Sheridan’s two-year Paralegal diploma program sets you on the road to becoming a licensed paralegal.
Successful completion of Sheridan's accredited Paralegal program qualifies you to write the Law Society of Upper Canada licensing examination, a requirement if you wish to practice as a paralegal in Ontario. The training you receive at Sheridan – from professors with many years of experience working in the legal profession – will prepare you for a career in this challenging field.
What you'll learn
- Prosecution and defence of summary conviction offences and provincial offences.
- Small claims court procedure.
- Effective advocacy before tribunals such as the Landlord and Tenant Board, Workplace Safety and Insurance Board, the Human Rights Tribunal, and the Immigration and Refugee Board.
- Legal research and writing.
Following the final term of your Paralegal program, you'll complete an unpaid four-week (140-hour) field placement in a legal environment within a paralegal's permitted scope of practice. You may be in a variety of legal settings including a court office, legal clinic, paralegal firm or law firm. Some travel may be required, and you'll need to provide your own transportation.
The Law Society of Upper Canada is the independent governing body empowered by the Province of Ontario to regulate the legal profession. Paralegal scope of practice, licensing, and examination procedures including fees, examination dates and admission requirements, are within the sole authority of the Law Society of Upper Canada.
Your program professors are lawyers with many years of experience working in the legal profession. Under their direction you'll learn through a combination of teaching methods including:
- Classroom lecture and discussion
- Collaborative group assignments
- Mock trials and hearings
- Computer-based assignments in the computer lab
Ontario College Diploma
- 2 yrs (4 semesters)
- Program code: PARAL
Column one has the Start date, second the Locations and third the Availability Start date Locations Availability Sep 2017 Davis Campus (Brampton) Closed Jan 2018 Davis Campus (Brampton) Available