This program will not be admitting new students in 2019. The program continues to run for current students. However, you may want to explore our Bachelor of Applied Health Sciences Athletic Therapy or Bachelor of Health Sciences Kinesiology and Health Promotion programs.
Sheridan’s Fundamentals of Fitness Leadership program prepares you to become a qualified personal fitness trainer.
Outstanding career preparationUnique in Ontario, Sheridan's Fitness Leadership certificate combines the science of physiology, anatomy, biomechanics and nutrition with practical training in exercise and conditioning. Upon graduation, you'll be a qualified personal fitness trainer who is ready to write the certification exams for CANFIT Pro, Certified Professional Trainers Network (CPTN) and Ontario Fitness Council (OFC).
Things you'll learn to do
- Assess basic fitness needs through fitness testing protocols.
- Teach correct techniques of exercise, training and fitness.
- Recognize and report health-related conditions that hamper a client's safe pursuit of an exercise program.
- Create fitness programs for groups of different ages, health and fitness levels.
Hands-on experienceThrough a field placement at a fitness studio, community recreation facility or similar organization, you'll have the chance to apply your new skills and enhance your resume. You'll also use specialized facilities on Sheridan's campus, including the Human Performance Lab, Exercise Intervention Research Centre (EIRC), Athletic Therapy Centre (ATC) and anatomy and physiology classrooms and labs.
Through this program, you'll also learn to:
- Operate a successful entrepreneurial fitness business.
- Promote a safe training environment and healthy lifestyle with clients.
- Use effective communication and leadership skills in trainer/client relationships.