Learning OutcomesBy the end of the Environmental Control Program, graduates will have demonstrated the ability to perform sampling, analysis, auditing, waste treatment activities in the context of the existing regulatory framework in the environmental aspects of industry and society:
- Work within the parameters of federal, provincial and municipal regulations, guidelines and policies to assure compliance with the law.
- Contribute to Phase I and Phase II site assessments according to standard procedures to maintain the integrity and credibility of the assessments.
- Collect and analyse air, water and soil samples using the appropriate equipment to obtain accurate results.
- Maintain a healthy and safe work environment by adhering to Occupational and Health and Safety procedures and practices.
- Establish an environmental management system to meet the needs of a specific situation using standard concepts and procedures.
- Determine compliance with environmental regulations by conducting environmental, compliance and waste audits.
- Classify liquid, airborne, and solid hazardous waste present in a specific environment based upon known identification parameters.
- Select an appropriate process and system for the treatment of airborne, liquid, solid and hazardous wastes to minimise negative environmental impact.