Graduates of this program will have demonstrated the ability to:
- Assess and treat injuries as part of health care team both on location in sports settings and in athletic therapy clinics.
- Plan, implement and supervise a comprehensive athletic injury/illness prevention program for the active individual.
- Assess the nature of injuries and illnesses commonly sustained by active individuals using relevant theory and practices while in compliance with current standards and established policies.
- Determine appropriate treatment of the injured active individuals, based on subjective and objective findings from the assessment.
- Provide appropriate first aid and emergency care for acute musculoskeletal injuries or illnesses in compliance with current professional standards and established policies and procedures in order to minimize disability.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate comprehensive rehabilitation and reconditioning programs for injuries or physical limitations sustained by the active population to ensure a full return to productivity and an active lifestyle.
- Plan, co-ordinate and supervise all administrative components of an athletic therapy practice, including finances, therapy room management, personnel and public relations.
- Provide health care information, education and counselling to active individuals, parents and coaches on matters pertaining to the physical, psychological, and emotional health and wellbeing of the individual.
- Promote athletic therapy as a professional discipline within the health care system.
- Communicate effectively verbally, nonverbally and in the written form utilizing appropriate technology.
- Interact effectively and collaboratively as an integral part of the sports medicine team, respecting the role of all other medical personnel in the management of the injured active population.
- Conduct professional practice competently in a legal, ethical and moral manner.
- Employ the principles of research including the collection and analysis of information to form reasoned conclusions.
- Develop skills to allow further education and personal growth.